From: Latest News for Library of Congress.
THOMAS.gov Will Redirect to Congress.gov Nov. 19
The free legislative information website, Congress.gov, is transitioning into its permanent role as the official site for federal legislative information from the U.S. Congress and related agencies.The site, which launched in beta form last fall and features platform mobility, comprehensive information retrieval and user-friendly presentation, is replacing the nearly 20-year-old THOMAS.gov.
Free Electronic Resources:
American Health Lawyers Association – links to print products, links to health law websites. Some content is members only.
The National Congress of State Legislatures – a resource for state and federal legislation, they have up to date information on Health Care Reform on the Federal and State level. Includes Fact Sheets on key provisions and mp3 recordings on website.
CBS News – 2010 Health Care Reform bill summary
Cowan, Gunteski & Co – Highlights from the 2010 Health Care Reform Act
Library of Congress – Thomas – Bill summary and status for H.R.3590
U.S. Government Printing Office – Health Care Reform Bill and Debate Available on GPO’s Federal Digital System
Kaiser Family Foundation – details on Federal Health Care reform, timelines, interactive calculator, issue briefs & analysis, State reform information.
AARP Guide to Reform – includes guides for individuals and small business owners
For Fee Electronic Resources
Lexis.com – Health Care Law Practice Center under the Transactional Advisor Tab
Thomson Reuters EBIA – need subscription for full access, but has copies of both bills and a free newsletter
BNA – access to current health news/legislation/analysis to subscribers of healthcare publications or Daily Reports
- CCH Law, Explanation and Analysis of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- TAA’s Law Explanation and Analysis
- Lexis/Matthew Bender – Health Care Reform Special Alert (available in June)
- RIA’s complete analysis of the tax and benefits provisions of the 2010 Health Care Act as amended by the 2010 Health Care Reconciliation Act : with Code and ERISA sections as amended and Committee reports
- CCH 2010 tax legislation : Patient Protection and Affordable Care ; Health Care Reconciliation ; HIRE and other recent tax acts : law, explanation and analysis
- CCH Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 : text of P.L. 111-148, as signed by the President on March 23, 2010; text of P.L. 111-152, as signed by the President on March 30, 2010 : JCT technical explanation of P.L. 111-148 and P.L. 111-152
I don’t often include search engines in this blog but there is something about Wolfram Alpha that intrigues me. Self described as a computational knowledge engine, it is more than any search engine that you might use to search across the web.
I have to admit that I had trouble figuring out how I would use it when I first tried the site. Not having a mathematical mind (Yes Mom, you were right, I should have studied harder in high school), I don’t often turn to computations unless there is a need. But then Wolfram Alpha is more than computations.
For example, searching for ibm,microsoft,oracle will provide you with a comparison of the three companies that includes the latest trades, fundamentals & financials (see the image below for a list of the information you can find, recent returns, relative price history, performance comparisons, correlation matrix, projections, and mean-variance optimal portfolio. Interesting.
Click image to view larger format
On top of finding it useful, while reading the 3 Geeks post, Wolfram Alpha Lets You Build Your Own Personal Widgets, I was excited to learn that you can now build widgets to make searching easier. While it seems that WordPress doesn’t support this yet, you can click Compare Public Companies to see the widget I built. If you think it is useful, I would appreciate a rating. Well, even if you don’t, it would still be great to see it rated.
See the Money & Finance category to find other widgets that are business focused.
If you are lucky to be taking off for a 4th of July holiday, you probably found something new upon return. I received the following announcement from Wolters Kluwer Law & Business as I am sure many of you have. A couple items worth noting a:
- Great training presentation is provided that outlines the enhancements in detail.
- List of online training seminars for the product.
- Word document with sample text that can be used to share the news of the change with your users.
Evolving with You as Your Professional Demands ChangeWelcome to IntelliConnect® 2.1, your new connection to faster, more efficient legal research! The enhanced capabilities and customization tools launching July 4th weekend allow you and your users to complete research tasks more easily than ever before.
Designed as a living platform, IntelliConnect reflects Wolters Kluwer Law and Business’ ongoing commitment to customer-focused innovation and adaptation to the changing marketplace. We are able to refine IntelliConnect as needed, in response to both evolving user requirements and technological advancements.
Some of the new IntelliConnect enhancements that will roll-out over the July 4th weekend will support you for an even more streamlined workday, while not affecting the existing functionalities. Coming as a direct result of feedback from customers like you, our new 2.1 enhancements include:
- New Home Page puts key features front and center and opens the Browse Tree by default
- Titles A-Z list for instant access to all of the publications and products in your firm’s subscription
- Faster and easier to find tools for setting up Practice Areas
- ‘Relate’ link allowing targeted selection of related tax documents
- Larger/Adjustable fonts
- Ability to select and print text
- More intuitive way to save and use Favorite content sets
- Intelligent post-search filters remember your prior selection
- More search tabs (up to eight)
For specific details on these and other features in this release, go to: https://www.brainshark.com/WKLB/IC-R2
For more feature specific user support references and videos go to the IntelliConnect training site at http://www.tax.cchgroup.com/LMG-IC or register for IntelliConnect July 2010 Enhancements training at http://inter.viewcentral.com/reg/cchlegal/ICJuly2010.
For any customer support questions, call (800) 344-3734 or go to http://support.cch.com
Interested in sharing enhancement updates with your users? Download a draft email that you can customize and share with your IntelliConnect users at http://business.cch.com/brochures/useremailR2.doc
Attending AALL meeting? Stop by the Wolters Kluwer Law & Business booth (#805-905) for a demo of the 2.1 features by the product development team of Michael Asen and Scott Murray. IntelliConnect 3.0 is currently in development and scheduled for release at the end of 2010. See and discuss the direction of IntelliConnect with Michael and Scott. IntelliConnect demonstration schedule is available at the booth or check out the Sunday issue of AALL’s Summit News Daily Newspaper at the conference.
We are confident that once you and your users experience our latest version of IntelliConnect, you’ll find that it takes legal research to a whole new level.
Wolters Kluwer Law & Business
the BNA International Tax Centre provides you with:
- Rules for revenue recognition
- Expert Analysis & Insights
- News & Developments
- Treaties Cases & Rulings
- Primary Source
- Practice Tools
- Tax Rates
In reporting the announcement of the new product, David Curle, Director and Lead Analyst at Outsell, Inc., discusses the competitive market BNA is entering with this new product in today’s (7/2/10) Insights.
BNA is certainly not alone in this space. IBFD is an Amsterdam-based player with a global reach that specializes in the international tax field, while Wolters Kluwer and Thomson Reuters’ Tax & Accounting unit both have international tax offerings. Thomson Reuters has announced that it will roll out a OneSource Global Tax Workstation later in 2010, as well as a global tax research solution called Checkpoint World that integrates the existing Checkpoint research platform with international sources from proprietary content partners and focused external web sites.
Salesforce clients will now be able to access Hoover’s database of 65 million companies and 85 million contacts for more targeted prospecting and strategic intelligence by subscribing to additional features and functionality with Access Hoover’s 3.0 on salesforce.com’s AppExchange 2.
Hoover’s company information in the following screenshot that shows how it appears within an Salesforce account view for Whole Foods Market, Inc. Salesforce contacts for that company are listed below the Hoovers information. Click on image to see a larger view. See the AppExchange information for this integration for more screenshots.
Key enhancements include:
- Additional Hoover’s Insight – Clients now have access to double the number of companies and people, as well as company overviews and executive biographies. They can also map all Hoover’s industries, including second and third tiers. With customers gaining greater information on the companies and key contacts they are selling to, as well as the industries within which they operate, they can generate more leads and close more sales. Hoover’s subscribers with access to First Research can now save time by tapping directly into this in-depth industry intelligence via Access Hoover’s, for enhanced sales call preparation.
- Enhanced Functionality for Account, Lead and Contact Records – Customers can now view and import competitors and Family Tree members as accounts or leads. Family Tree allows customers to see all subsidiaries of a parent company so they can identify potential conflicts of interest or uncover cross-sell and up-sell opportunities.
- Expanded Duplication Alerts – For quicker prospecting, duplicate records are now identified by exact name match, as opposed to D&B DUNS number alone. Duplicate leads, contacts and accounts are identified throughout the system anywhere a Hoover’s record is displayed. Now, sales professionals can be sure of pursuing unique leads.
- Improved Prospecting Capabilities – Access Hoover’s 3.0 saves customers time by doubling the bulk import limit to 1,000 records and allowing customers to import one or more records (Accounts, Leads and Contacts) directly from within Simple Search results
The price as posted on the Salesforce AppExchange is $100 a user/month for non-Hoover’s customers. $15-$50 a user/month for current Hoover’s subscribers. Annual commitment. Minimum 5 users.
If you are a user of Salesforce with Hoover’s and would like to write a review of this product, contact Nina Platt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-235-7485.
EAGAN, Minn., May 25, 2010 – Thomson Reuters today announced the launch of Westlaw Expert Center – a one-stop, comprehensive resource for finding, researching and connecting with expert witnesses. Westlaw Expert Center combines the most extensive data set on expert witnesses with the most advanced tools for searching and analyzing the information quickly and effectively.
Researching experts is a critical, but often time-consuming, function that requires drawing information from myriad sources to make informed decisions about selecting or challenging experts.
Westlaw Expert Center provides a single, convenient location to gain a comprehensive view of an expert. It accesses the largest collection of expert witness information, with profiles, curricula vitae, court-filed résumés, expert challenge reports, expert evaluator reports and testimony documents, as well as Westlaw’s extensive legal document library, including millions of motions, briefs, dockets, trial documents and jury verdicts.
Westlaw Expert Center incorporates the authoritative information of The Daubert Tracker, a leading source of information on the admissibility of scientific evidence and expert witness testimony. The Daubert Tracker helps ensure thorough checks of the “gatekeeping history” of experts by providing accurate expert witness names and identification of an expert’s discipline. It also provides unparalleled access to expert witness information contained in unreported cases. Westlaw Expert Center supplements information from The Daubert Tracker with thousands of additional expert witness challenges, as well as editorial enhancements to assist in conducting thorough expert due diligence.
Only Westlaw Expert Center searches across all these various sources simultaneously and returns results in a single on-screen window, providing an instant, comprehensive view of an expert. Attorneys and support staff no longer have to conduct multiple searches to compile information from disparate data sources, or use a complicated, expensive pass-through service in order to access detailed results.
“Finding the precise information you need to make intelligent choices regarding expert witnesses is critical to effective litigation,” said Andy Martens, senior vice president of New Product Development, Thomson Reuters, Legal. “Westlaw Expert Center provides all the resources, information and advanced search tools that a litigator needs to pinpoint information on expert witnesses in one comprehensive, easy-to-use global search. Users can analyze experts with utmost confidence that all the necessary and relevant information from all sources has been compiled for thorough review.”
In addition, Westlaw Round Table Group and its expert witness consulting and referral services are available for Westlaw users. Westlaw Round Table Group provides attorneys with a fully customized search covering industry experts, corporate executives and academics, and the industry’s largest database of proprietary expert content to help find experts to match litigators’ specific needs.
Westlaw Expert Center is available through a convenient tab on Westlaw, the preferred online legal research service. Access to Westlaw Expert Center is also available to subscribers of WestlawNext, the groundbreaking next-generation legal research service.